Tuesday, October 18, 2011

First Blog!

I'm surprised to say I'm joining this blogging world...  I always enjoy reading my friends' blogs, but I've never thought anyone would be interested in what I have to say.  That's probably still the case, but I think I'll find this quite therapeutic!  I have recently finished my PhD, and I can't find a job :( So while I chug along through this job search, I'll use this place to celebrate myself, since all the employers out there have left me feeling pretty useless!  Kidding!  (kinda)

As I go through this job search, I know my time in Oklahoma is growing shorter by the day.  I love this place, but I don't think my dream job is here.  There is no place like Oklahoma, and I will miss it very much, because it really has become my second home.  This is why I chose the name for this blog.  My first home is Kentucky, and I don't belive I will live there again anytime soon, either.  But Kentucky (and Oklahoma) will always be there.  And I know that whenever I return, for a visit or for forever, both of these places will always seem like home.

So, let the therapy begin...  During my unemployment I have reconnected with one of my favorite hobbies - Cross stitch!  I've been working on a few projects, and I think this will be a fun way to keep track of them.  I think I will enjoy looking back on this in the future.  A few weeks ago I went up to Manhattan, KS to visit my great friends Andrea and Austin.  I made them a kitchen towel with a fall design, but it was supposed to be a set of towels.  Thanks to slow shipping, I had to finish the second one when I returned home.  I took some pics of it as I worked through all the different colors.

First, I centered the design and started stitching with the main center color

Next orange...

Yellow...


Green...


A little bit of red...


A little bit of purple....


Some dark green leaves...


Then I added some border to the top and bottom....


And this is what it looked like in the end:


I'm glad I have friends who let me endulge in my old lady-ish hobby.  Pretty soon I will have to make some of these cute towels for myself :)  If anyone has any cross-stitch needs, I'm your lady!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were into old lady stuff too! Looks great and I can't wait to see your next project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? I crochet, quilt, bake, and sew my own clothing! I think I have the old lady hobbies covered, lol. Looks great, and I'm jealous, I never had the patience for cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete